Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Riding in the Rain

Today was the first day I actually planned to ride in the rain....to work. For the Burgman to be primary transportation, I need to learn to ride in all weather conditions...with ice being the exception.

I geared up in the Frogg Togg, full cover gloves and the helmet(which is ALWAYS worn regardless) and headed from Wylie into Plano. Being extremely mindful of the traffic in front of me and the traffic lights in the distance, I have to say that it was a fun ride in. No incidents or road issues and I arrived bone-dry thanks to the rain gear.

It rained all day today and was still raining when I left work, so I got to enjoy the ride home in the rain. I took a different route home that is lesser traffic(driving defensively) and stayed mindful of the 2 and 12 second rule. No speeding and keeping my distance. Drive like I was invisible. Once again, the MSF class proved its valuability.

So, I consider today a milestone in my two-wheel journey as rain is now an acceptable riding condition.

Ride Safe!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Glenn,
    Congradulations with riding in the rain! I think you handled it extremely well with your precautions. Isn't it great to know you can handle the elements!

    Your post makes me think of last winter when I got stuck in a down pour at work. I wasn't sure if I wanted to ride in it, so I called a friend to get his advice (he had a lot more experience riding in the rain then I did). He said he had ridden in weather like this before and it would be manageable. I started riding and realized that he was in a different city and probably wasn't raining as bad there (doesn't help when you are not talking about the same weather for advice). The water on the road was so high I was scared to death. I pulled over at the next gas station and waited for 1.5 hours for the storm to pass (in no rain gear). :)

    ReplyDelete