Saturday, September 19, 2009

Starbucks/Babe's Chicken Dinner House Ride

I've been waiting for this ride as I looked forward to meeting some of the folks that have been chatting with in DFW Scooterist forum. I got up early and washed Big Red and made sure I had all the ride essentials. It would be the first ride with the music/gps combo I added recently.

I made it to Starbucks on time and got to meet Earl B. Along with the other scooterists and bikers. Looks like it's going to be a great ride through Grapevine as it is GrapeFest. One small hitch....Big Red won't start out in the Starbucks parking lot. A first! The 'Just Brakes' was right across the walkway. The ScootGroup was being very helpful with suggestions and I didn't want to delay the kickoff, so I sent them off and walked to Just Brakes and they hadn't seen a Chinese Scoot..and were more than happy to offer a jumper. They even recommended I go to CVS and pick up a spare 9Volt battery for backup. Lol!

So off I go to find the Babes CDH and the gps comes in handy. I unplugged the DC Sockets cuz I figured that's what drained the battery, so a 10 mile ride would charge her up. Beautiful scenery along 114. Enjoyed the light breeze and the partly cloudy skies.

I get to the restaurant and lo, Big Red refuses to start again. So I go on and enjoy a really good lunch. Earl mentions checking the fuses, so I excuse myself to go check. I'm checking over the fuses and one of the ladies(Jamie) from the group is out taking a smoke and inquires about the battery. I've concluded the battery or altenator is the issue. Jamie happens to have the number to the local cycle shop and offers to call them and see if they have a replacement. How awesome is that? She has friends that work at the "Biker's Garage" and they have one. Whew! Relief..

The lunch goes well and I meet some very interesting fellow riders, with the common love for two-wheel transportation. Enjoyed picking Earl's brains about scooters. A good time was had by all.

The whole group waited for me afterwards to walk to the motorcycle shop and back and were glad I had a battery. Earl gave me a cycle jump so I could get Big Red back to the shop to return the borrowed jumper cables and get one last jump for the road. They tested the old battery and it was bad for sure but the alternator as showing to be charging just fine. I learned that motorcycle batteries have to be prepped. Big Red is humming and I'm headed back to Kendallwood. Alternator holds up for the 40 mile trip....wow!

I get to Kendallwood and shut off Big Red and she won't restart so it's definitely for sure the battery.

What a great morning. Met some new acquaintences, learned about cycle batteries, and even learned a little more about not being quick to form opinions without merit.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn,
    I have been following your blog for the last few week. Mainly because I purchased the same
    identical scooter from Mishi Sports. Exact same
    color.
    After reading todays post i decided to write in to you about my scooter problems.
    I have owned it for about 5-weeks now, and it has been sent back to them about 5-times. Guess
    where it is at now,your right (Plano)
    I have been having a problem with the charging system.It would last for a day or two then leave me standed somewhere. Ken would change the battery and say that the battery was bad and then
    iI wuold take it home and it work for a day.Infact it has been at their place more than at my home. It probably has more miles on it riding in the bed of my truck than on the highway
    Well, i dropped the scooter off on Thursday and
    have not heard anything about it yet. Suneel told me that there was a big boss comming in on Sat. (today)and that they would look at it and
    get it fixed.
    Sounds like the same problem that you ran into today.
    i felt like my scooter had a problem with its
    charging system. I was telling Ken it was the stator or altenator. hope it gets fixed.One thing i can say is that Mishi Sports has stood
    behind their product and is doing its best to get my scooter fixed.They do stand behind there product.I told Suneel that i was waiting to write a review until everything was fixed correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they will work through it. They called the big guns in on my CVT and ended replacing it under warranty-new clutch and belt....and it runs so smooth now. Never thought it was supposed to run so good. :)

    Certainly helps to post this on Scootdawg. I know Neel has a presence there and it helps Mishi too!

    ReplyDelete